Hi guys, first of all please let me tell you that we have some really interesting interviews with most of the nominees of our award! (more on the pipeline 😉 ) – be sure to check them out in the next posts. Since then, we see that all of you are occupied with the famous Delphi Survey and because this survey is really technical grade and complex please feel free to discuss, ask and comment here and / or in the newsgroups. Note that we snipped the ‘obvious / clear’ (imho) questions…
On Page 5 the first question says: How would you rate your use of the following IDE features?
And as options we have:
Current Line Highlighting
VCL Designer Guidelines
TODO List functionality
Unit Testing Wizard
Delphi/XML Binding Wizard
Search / Find
Change bar in editor
Classic Look & Feel
ITE (Integrated Translation Env.)
ETM (External Translation Manager)
Find References refactor
Introduce variable refactor
Introduce field refactor
Inline variable refactor
Change parameters refactor
Safe delete refactor
Push members up/down refactor
Pull members up refactor
Extract superclass refactor
Extract interface refactor
Move members refactor
Declare variable refactor
Declare field refactor
Extract method refactor
Find unit/import namespace refactor
Extract to resource string refactor
Breakpoint on thread
CPU view debugging
Event log view
Import WSDL wizard
Visual Query Builder
SOAP 1.2 clients
…and for each one we can choose the following values:
“Don’t have or don’t know about”
“Don’t care / Don’t use”
“Need education on the feature”
“Use it some of the time”
“Use it all the time”
Also, on the same Page 5 we have the following questions:
Also, the following questions on the page 5 are:
6. Are there any other 3rd party software that should be part of the product?
7. If you use VCL for the web (Intraweb) how do you feel about it?
IntraWeb is awesome and we use it for all of our web needs
I use it for small jobs
It does not scale
Does not work
Never used it
I don’t use VCL for the web (Intraweb)
8. What one feature would you add to VCL for the web (Intraweb)?
9. What solution for Report you will use in Delphi?
Virtual Print Engine
Other (please specify)
10. Delphi Language Enhancements: For your development needs, please rank the following language features in order of desirability for Delphi/Object Pascal:
Design by Contract
Language support for Multi-threaded/Multi-core
Garbage collection for Win32
Other (please specify):
11. RAD Studio 2010 Personalities/Environment: According to your development requirements, please allocate 100 points across the following RAD Studio 2010 personalities to indicate the relative amount of support and features you would like to see Embarcadero focus on for your particular needs. Assign any amount to each personality/environment from 0 to 100, so that the total of all entries is 100.
Delphi for Win32 Personality
12. Please indicate one other VCL feature that you would like to see added or enhanced.
13. IDE Enhancements: According to your development needs, please allocate 100 points across the following potential IDE enhancements to indicate the relative amount of support and features you would like to see Embarcadero focus on for your particular needs. Assign any amounts to each feature from 0 to 100, so that the total of all the entries is 100.
2-way unit testing
Generate snapshot (.png) of GUI design
Source Control Integration into the IDE
Open Tools API
Modernize the IDE look & feel
IDE Warning about persisting settings (passwords, database connections, etc.)
14. Please indicate one other IDE feature that you would like to see added or enhanced.
15. Embarcadero has made a significant change in the .NET strategy by introducing Delphi Prism. What are your on going requirements for compatibility between .NET and Native Delphi?
Very High – need high language compatibility between Prism and Delphi
Moderately High – help me migrate from Native to .NET
Medium – i.e. we use .NET for newer projects only, minimal code reuse
Low – i.e. I’m using .NET all I need is a similar language to Delphi
– to be continued –